Monday, July 19, 2010

Alone

I don’t remember what happened to the next two weeks, but when I woke up with one week left until I was to throw the dinner dance; I woke to small clicking noises every couple minutes against my window. I climbed out of bed around five-thirty and walked out to my balcony, just outside my large window that happened to be a set of French doors.
In my mini-shorts and tee shirt, I stood at the edge, resting my hands on the banister, “Hello?” I called softly.
“Hello, Princess!” David could have shouted to the rooftops, but instead just called up to me.
“Come up here!” I waved my hands upwards then rested my chin in my palm, my elbow sitting on the granite banister. We had gotten to know each other rather well and I had fallen deeper and deeper. By now, there was no returning to the normal human being I had nearly achieved before he came along. Suddenly I couldn’t see him for a split couple of seconds and he was trying to climb over the tall banister as quick as he could. He was up flawlessly, only I decided I wanted to help and grabbed his belt and hauled him over to my side. When he was finally up, I helped him over though he did most of the work.
Once he was looking into my eyes, he was kissing me. Whether it was verbally agreed upon or not, he knew and I knew that we wanted it.
“How was your night?” he asked me, kissing my forehead and hugging me.
“It was wonderful, I dreamt of you.” I sighed. I hoped that my father didn’t walk into my room when David was here. It made me nervous- but it didn’t stop me. I was done studying- I just needed to be accepted and get the job as the replacement for my father as the United States ambassador in Rome- he was scheduled for retirement in about a week and a half, so he needed to choose quickly between the interns, and it seemed that the Italian president was pushing for me to achieve that position as hard as he could it made me laugh...
“I dreamt of you too.” He said carefully choosing his words. His hands wandered my back and shoulders as he hugged and kissed me. I could only hope that he was not like the person that my father had wanted me to marry back at home.
That man was cruel, he was abusive, he was manipulative, and he only wanted me for sex. Did I ever give it to him? No, I did not, but my father thought that just because he had money, that if the man asked for my hand in marriage, my father almost required
me to take it. No person could see the way Hal was on the outside. He was a legal rapist:
There I was,
In the dark.
I was crying-
But the pain wouldn’t stop!
My ribs hurt,
My thighs hurt,
My mouth was sore and
I couldn’t find my hands.
A sliver of light slipped under the closet door,
I saw his fist coming,
It wasn’t worth dodging.
It was only him who loved me…
He said no one else ever would.
There was broken glass near me,
I’m thankful he doesn’t know
I used to be strong,
A year before, I could have won a fight with him…
His fingers wrapped around my pants and he winked.
Then he tugged a little- thinking I’d let him.
I wriggled away and kicked his shin
“No…” I whispered weakly
The tears stung and they wouldn’t go away.
He kicked my stomach and I winced.
“I thought you were stronger than this…”
“No…” I sobbed quietly.
He kicked me again,
But I was already on the floor,
My head against the wall,
He asked again- moving forward.
I reiterated the word
He threw another blow to my ribs
He called me pathetic
And I fell into the welcome blackness of sleep…

And that nobody, not even the law, knew what he was except me because he never showed it, especially after I survived with my virginity.

As far as I could tell, this was love-at-first-sight. This was wonderful, this was truly amazing. I didn’t know how I could hear such a beautiful voice, see such a beautiful face, and be kissed in such a beautiful way. I didn’t know that someone could be so affectionate and tender. I didn’t know how he could love me and not my body. I’d been told I was sexy too many times and now, when David made me feel a part of something, I felt as beautiful as I’d been told that I was.
I had been told that I was utterly worthless by every man except him. My father had always loved my baby sister, fifteen and now dead, but he had never shown that he loved me. He showed me a little- but only when I began to show interest in his area of work.
As long as we didn’t go overboard, I would be fine, considering that if I were to go overboard I would feel too guilty and feel pressured to marry him; especially if I were to become pregnant. But I know myself and I figured that none of that would ever happen unless we fell so in love that he married me. Maybe- just maybe…but all I can do right now is dream.
“So, do you want to get some breakfast? Or do you want to somehow find a way to break the news of us to your father? Or both?” he asked me, kissing me again.
“My father’s not awake yet. It’s only six in the morning.” I said- amazed that even he could be awake this early. After all, he’s the reason I was up before my father sent someone in to wake me the final day I would worry about my duties- even though they weren’t real duties, they were expectations. I guess they thought that if I could show them that I was very assiduous and obedient, then they might give me some other more political jobs.
Today I would finish planning the party, and hopefully I would be good at it because I’ve never planned a dinner dance or any other kind of party for that matter, it was entirely my mom’s area of expertise.
I wondered what it was my father planned for me; whether he actually wanted me to take his place or if he just wanted to make me disappoint him so he could send me home. But either way, I wasn’t going to go home for a good long time and he would have to give me the job unless he wanted me to become an Italian citizen because if David asked me to marry him, I would. I wouldn’t even question it. I would need a passport to go home, but I wouldn’t mind doing that. Besides, David was completely worth every moment, every penny, everything I had and I would probably give it up to be with the man who loves me.
“How about breakfast then?” he asked me.
“That sounds fabulous, but I don’t know if we can, considering I’m kind of trapped here until my job’s done unless my job takes me outside the embassy” I replied, sighing forlornly.
“Darn. Baby, don’t feel bad- I’ll just stay with you until they come for you. Maybe I can come knocking on the front door and be invited inside. My father is your dad’s best friend after all.” He said, trying to cheer me up. It worked for the time being, and if I could help it, it would stay that way.
Life was so weird… it drove me bonkers sometimes- and now was definitely one of those times. About two hours later, someone came knocking at my door. I was so not ready to be seen outside my bedroom.
“Go girl. You’re fine.” He whispered before kissing me and disappearing down the side of the embassy.
When I finally emerged from my room, it turned out that it had been my father. He had a stern look on his face.
“I thought I told you to be downstairs sitting down ready to eat by seven.” He said, almost angered.
“I don’t remember how early you told me, I thought you said that someone would come get me.” I said back to him.
Suddenly we heard several loud thumps on the front door. I flew down the stairs, grappled the handle and yanked the oak door open. Right there was my Romeo.
David smiled and waved at my father who looked at him weirdly.
“Daddy, can I invite him in for breakfast?” I asked my father as he came slowly down the stairs.
“I guess. Just make sure that you actually finish your project by nine o’ clock tonight. Your bedtime is officially nine-thirty. I expect you to be close to asleep by ten. I will be passing by at exactly ten each night.” He explained. I swear I think most of what he said went in one ear and out the other, so at least David was listening. Maybe he’d help me...
“No problem Sir.” I said, and took David’s hand, leading him to the dining hall.
Breakfast was quick and easy because it was just a couple pieces of toast with jam, one sunny-side-up egg, and coffee. I didn’t take the coffee; they had to give me bottled water instead, only my father had them give me some champagne. Why he wanted me to drink that putrid stuff made no sense to me at all but oh well right?
Following breakfast, the two of us zipped down the stairs, me first, to the small office-like room my father told me to use. Inside I found a cream colored stack of envelopes sitting next to an obvious pile of white invitations. In front of the two masses, sat a four-foot-long list on which each name that I was to invite was scrawled on. The handwriting was so small that I would have thought there were a couple thousand- but there were only a few hundred, some of the names were crossed out and had notes on why not to invite them to the dinner dance.
“Well, we have a lot to do- let’s get hoppin’!” I exclaimed and handed him the invites and grabbed a pen to write on each and every envelope as he slipped the white pieces of cardstock inside them when I handed them to him.
After only forty minutes, my fingers on my right hand began to hurt. They became cramped because of how many I had done already. I might be done in another two or three hours.
About twenty minutes to four, David stood up and closed the door. I looked up at him and made a funny face.
“What’s that for? You’ll be fine, we’re almost done.”
“I don’t understand…” I turned around to face him- but he suddenly was nowhere to be seen.
Out of the blue, I saw a light flip on shining under the door. Then I heard the doorknob jiggle as somebody unknown to me struggled to open the locked door. I could have screamed- I couldn’t see anything and I was terrified. I didn’t scream, but I thought I should have for all of about three seconds.
A pair of warm hands covered my mouth unexpectedly as I was about to let out a curdling drill. By my ear, a mouth whispered, “Do you want to get us killed?” I heard him. Wait- which him? Was it Hal by me or was it David? What was happening?
Still confused, I tried looking around. Whoever had been holding my mouth let me move, releasing me.
“You who… let me in…” a familiar, yet distant voice sounded beyond the door.
“Don’t say anything.” Lips pressed gently against my cheek, “Who’s out there?” whoever had just kissed me called. It sounded like David- but I was still so muddled that I couldn’t tell the difference between male voices.
“Does it really matter? I said let me in damnett!” the voice sounded angry- sounded similar to my body guard’s voice, but I still couldn’t tell.
“Why do you need to get in here?” the I-think-it-is-David voice called out into the blackness.
“Is Aria in there?” the other man asked impatiently.
“Why?” the beautiful voice near me replied, nervous.
“If I told you and she was in there, her father would be angry. Besides, I don’t think you want to anger me or the ambassador. She is requested by an unexpected visitor upstairs.”
“She’s in here- but she is not finished and her father told me not to let her leave until these invites were mailed out. Sorry- just doing what I been told.”
“But…her father sent me to retrieve her to see this man at the door for no long3er than fifteen or twenty minutes.”
“Sorry. Her bodyguard and her father both told me not to let her go upstairs quite yet… what time is it?”
“How should I know? You better let her come or else!”
“Or else what?” the man that now held me in his lap asked, stunned.
“I come barging in there, take her, and kill you.” He said, his temper rising.
“We don’t need to take it that far...” then the man holding me stood up and cradled me in his arms, “She’ll be right out…”
“Thank you sir.” The man outside the door sounded happier as we slipped out the window, only slightly lit by the shards of moonlight that slipped through the curtains.
Once we were outside the embassy and into the dark night, I saw the man’s face. I had been right the first time that I had guessed it was David. He now slung me around to hang on his back. I wrapped my hands around his neck, his arms secured me, wrapping beneath me as he began to run.
He climbed the wall to my balcony, tucked me into bed, and from what I could tell, took my envelopes out to the mail to be shipped away to my guests.
That night, after I had eaten supper, David had the chef mix alcoholic drinks for us, things like the ones you might find at an American or maybe Italian bar, served up by a bartender. Of course, I drank. I wasn’t ready for it, but I did it anyway. After about two or three hours, I couldn’t walk in a straight line.
I made a hasty decision that night, so did David, but I have to say that it was definitely one of the greatest and most enjoyable experiences I had ever had.
My only problem was what and who I faced when I woke up in the morning. I got out of bed quickly, and ran to the doors; locked from the outside. I ran to my other door- also locked from the side I couldn’t control.
I probably broke down- but all I remember is one massive hangover and a lot of sleeping. My stomach didn’t agree with my father’s philosophy of wine and champagne. I frankly didn’t agree with it either.
I wasn’t that confused anymore, but now I needed to see my brother to ask him why he needed me to come upstairs. Maybe, he just wanted to let me know he was here to visit.
“Jack!” I called out from my bedroom after I had been spooked by him- it had been him behind the door after all.
“Yes?” My younger brother came thundering up the stairs.
“Why did you need me last night?” I set my dainty hands on my small hips and looked him up and down when he unlocked my door and entered my room. This has always made him nervous.
“Well- I-uh… I wanted to see my sister and I came because Momma needs us. She was almost hospitalized last time she had a seizure and that was only about four days ago.” My heart dropped, I had two choices, go home or get the job. Unless my mother had sent him, she wasn’t asking for help- but if she couldn’t let him know what she needed- maybe he came because he was scared. I didn’t know what was going on, but if Jack was worried, I had plenty of cause to be nervous and aware.
“What the hell? Oh my… gosh- I want to go home to her but I can’t because of my job. How is she now?” I asked- not really wanting to know the horrible news.
“She’s doing fine now, that’s how I was able to get out here. Father won’t let you come home?” he looked shocked.
“If I went home, he promised he’d never give me another opportunity to get the job that I’m in line for.”
“That’s terrible. He always did favor Talon over us. That is, until Tal left the church for that Mormon shit.” He replied angrily. He was never good at coping with our father’s idiocy or the fact that Talon thought he had found the truth outside the Roman Catholic Church.
“Everything will be just fine, I hope…” I replied. My six-foot-six brother wrapped me up in a huge bear and held onto me as the two of us cried. I’d never seen Jack cry, but here he was, crying, and trying not to let me see it. I held onto him just as tightly as he squeezed me.
Then he followed security protocol and checked the window-doors to the balcony to make sure that they were still outwardly locked, he checked the rest of the window’s and vents and made sure that everything was capable of keeping me hostage. The only thing he didn’t do is answer my question about why I was being detained. That he said he was not allowed to answer me.

No comments:

Post a Comment